Saturday, January 29, 2022

Hurricane Gilbert

I was twelve years old when I experience my first hurricane. The media gave us hourly updates about the storm, Hurricane Gilbert, and tells us how to prepare for it. Most people took it for granted and did not pay attention to what the news was broadcasting. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was about to experience my first real natural disaster. The storm came and a lot of people in my community and the entire country lives was changed forever.

I remember looking through the back window in my kitchen and seeing giant trees breaking in half like toothpicks. Trees tumbling over, houses with roof flying in the wind, and people crying for help. It was devastating. I will never forget.

Fortunately, me and my entire household was okay. We weren't affected like most people were, but the sight of the damages the storm left behind is something to remember.

15 comments:

  1. I have not experience a natural disaster such as a hurricane, quite a visual of giant trees breaking in half like toothpicks and houses with roof flying in the wind!

    Glad you and your family weren't affected like most people were :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never experienced a hurricane outright, but I did get caught in a monsoon thunderstorm one time, when I was in Thailand. The rain pounded sidewalks and building sides for hours. It was relentless, just a solid sheet of water that came down without end. I wasn't sure it would ever let up.

    If that was only a monsoon, I don't want to know what a hurricane/typhoon is like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's crazy, I've never been in a hurricane. Glad you're out of hurricane territory now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow.. I'm glad you and your family made it out okay. That sounds very intense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I remembered Hurricane Gilbert. That was some scary times, it's nice to know you and your family made it out ok. That was a sight to see after the storm. Thanks for jogging my memory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is very scary to think of. I am glad you and your family are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not been through a natural disaster, and I am thankful. Glad you and your family were okay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my god. Hurricanes can be terrifying and I'm glad you were okay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that is crazy, I was also in a hurricane when I was a few months old in Miami, Florida back in 1991. Hurricane Andrew destroyed our entire home we all hid in a bathtub with a mattress on top of us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't remember if it was technically classified as a hurricane, but when I was a baby in Guam my parents would tell me about a time when the storms were so dangerous that the country went into a state of emergency and I wouldn't stop crying. I pray and hope that I never have to go through what you did, but I'm glad you're safe and alive!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the visualization you put with your details. I have never been in a hurricane before but I have definitely seen a few tornadoes do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never been in a hurricane before but there have been times where I have been caught in a storm it is always important to be prepared for any emergency.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad that you are ok, I can only imagine how it must of been to have to deal with a situation of that level. Hopefully you guys don't deal with that ever again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you and your family are okay! Strong winds here are already scary for me. I can't imagine how I would react to a hurricane.

    ReplyDelete