Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Facts about Nevada

Along with IS101, one of the other three classes I am currently taking this semester is History 102 and it includes the history of Nevada and the roll Nevada plays in the U.S. Constitution. I want to share a few things I learn about our beautiful State of Nevada.

Nevada is the 36th State to join the Union and was granted Statehood on October 31, 1864. It also played a vital roll in re-electing Abraham Lincoln for President of the United States. Nevada also had the largest silver deposits in the country, which is located in Virginia City. Eighty-four percent of the State is Federal land. The executive office is made up of six officials: Governor, Lt. Governor, Secretary of State, State Treasurer, State Attorney General, and State Controller. The only power the Governor has over those offices is veto power. Therefore, he cannot pass a legislation without the approval of the other executive officials. The other thing is that prostitution is legal in Nevada, however, it is illegal in Clark County. 
So those are just a few things I learn about Nevada that I wanted to share with you all.

12 comments:

  1. I didn't know that 84% of Nevada is Federal land.

    Thanks for the sharing the cool facts about our Silver State :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nevada has always had a pronounced effect in national politics, which is interesting given how sparsely populated the state has been for most of its history.

    It also played what amounted to an arguably pivotal role in electing John F. Kennedy, among other things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. History is great sometimes you discovered things you become wide eyed about, like I lived here for 22 years and didn't know prostitution is legal what? I am appalled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember learning about this because I took HIST 102 not too long ago. Good thing you remember it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm taking History in Fall; it will be fun to learn

    ReplyDelete
  6. The mafia ran politics back in the day and Vegas was the bank account for most organized crime so I wouldn't doubt Nevada would have powerful strings attached to it in politics to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Thanks for the fun facts! Need to read up on some of this for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much knowledge about Nevada. I'm so informed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting fun facts. I enjoy learning new things about Las Vegas or Nevada in general.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting. I did not know any of this information.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nevada and Las Vegas is much more interesting than I think most people give us credit for.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have lived here in Nevada since 1997 and don't know much about it's history to be honest. I have lived in other places for less time like Korea for a year or Germany for 3 and I know much more about those places. I will be taking a history course soon so I will finally learn more about Nevada.

    ReplyDelete